DEFINITION OF ZIBAH
يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لاَ تُحِلُّوا شَعَائِرَ اللَّهِ وَلاَ الشَّهْرَ الْحَرَامَ وَلاَ الْهَدْيَ وَلاَ الْقَلاَئِدَ وَلاَ آمِّينَ الْبَيْتَ الْحَرَامَ يَبْتَغُونَ فَضْلاً مِنْ رَبِّهِمْ وَرِضْوَانًا وَإِذَا حَلَلْتُمْ فَاصْطَادُوا وَلاَ يَجْرِمَنَّكُمْ شَنَآنُ قَوْمٍ أَنْ صَدُّوكُمْ عَنْ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ أَنْ تَعْتَدُوا وَتَعَاوَنُوا عَلَى الْبِرِّ وَالتَّقْوَى وَلاَ تَعَاوَنُوا عَلَى الإِثْمِ وَالْعُدْوَانِ وَاتَّقُوا اللَّهَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ شَدِيدُ الْعِقَابِForbidden unto you is the dead (carrion) and, blood and flesh of swine and, what hath been slaughtered in the name of any other than that of Allah, and the strangled, and beaten to death, and killed by a fall and gored to death by a horn, and that which the wild beasts ate, except that which ye slaughter (in accordance with the prescribed law)
Zibah is the method or the act of slaughter also known as zibah-al-Ikhtiyaariy by which an animal or a bird is slaughtered by a Muslim by saying shahada or tasmiya, Bismillah Allahu Akbar. If the slaughter is not done by zibah method, any meat or derivatives from such carcasses cannot be deemed to be halal or permissible for Muslims to consume. Requirements for zibah are:
- The animal or bird should be alive and healthy at the time of slaughter.
- Animal skin or fur, and bird feathers must be clean prior to slaughter and be free from faeces, mud or other unhygienic substances
- Stunning is not used to kill the animal or the bird
- A licensed Muslim slaughterer should slaughter by pronouncing shahada or tasmiya (when the knife is put on the throat of the bird of animal being slaughtered) “Bismillah Allahu Akbar”;
- All the flowing blood should be drained out from the carcass by natural convulsion.
No dorsal cut is allowed in slaughterhouses approved by Halal Food Authority. Dorsal cut would make poultry proscribe for Muslim consumption.